Autumn Approaches

As I drive through the countryside near my home, an August day looks and feels like autumn. The trees are just starting to turn colors in an upper corner branch, the tall grass is waving back and forth in the breeze, and I'm amazed at the beauty that God has put before me. I'm thinking all the way, I should be decorating my home with fall colors and looking for an electric fireplace for the basement. Are the blankets aired out? Have the mosquitoes got the message to stay away? We need more campfires. These little hints of fall make me want to snuggle up to a good book with a cup of coffee, my children around me on each side, and just FALL in love with the stories and my family all over again. To be surrounded in cozy warmth and carelessness.


But wait, that's not autumn. Autumn is when school begins, and we homeschool. Autumn is when I have no time to call my own because I'm busy with our groups and parish, noses into our academics, and every moment planned out to get it all in. We do get more time outside, but it's drenched in learning and purpose, to not waste a single moment.

So for that reason, I cling onto summer with one hand and reach out to autumn with the other. I still have that urge to go to the lake to swim or watch the kids dance at the splash pad. There's still time to have adventures like geocaching, packing picnics, taking a bike ride, taking a vacation up North, or visiting the outdoor zoo. I am born with the zeal for long nights and weakness for late mornings. I still want to get down to the sewing machine to stitch up a quilt or crochet the hat and fingerless gloves I've been working on for 3 years before they are needed. There is spring cleaning that didn't get done, wood projects that clutter the garage, things to fix, curriculum to plan, and children to send out on barefoot adventures. My summer list of frivolous and random things is long. I want to visit all my friends before they are huddled under their books with their children around them, learning about God's mysteries. Before they are tuned primarily into their home and school activities. THIS is that crazy time of year when I try to cram in everything we desired the other 9 months of the year, and feel overwhelmed when I can't, because I know that a season is coming to its end.



Autumn approaches, and I am not ready to let go of Summer.


God, Creator of the seasons,
 I ask to remain steadfast with all the things that I want to accomplish this summer. Keep my mind from the distraction of all those projects that can be put off until I'm tucked inside this winter. Give me eyes that see my children's summertime as a moment to be free from complexity. Remind me to include them in necessary tasks. Please forgive me for the times I forget to include you in my day. In all this, I hope to remember what it means to be a child of God. 

Mary, Most Holy, I ask for your prayers and guidance to be a humble wife and housekeeper, diligent in my tasks, so that when my husband comes home from work we are not riddled with a list projects and chores, rather ready for fruitful family activities.

Holy Spirit, I will continue to remember to 'Respond with Love' in every action and word, as I seek to use the gifts you so graciously bestowed upon me. God, I am amazed when I see the goodness and blessings in every aspect of my life, no matter the season. Thank you, Lord.  Amen

Our School's Prayer

Our School's Prayer

Popular Posts