Happy Valentine’s Day!

Dear friends,
This love letter was written by me for you, but feel free to forward it to anyone you love and want to give a Spiritual Bouquet. (just remove my personal info, thanks.) Praying you find love this holiday and every day!
God Bless You,
Melissa

clip_image001

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Did you know?? A long time ago, it was said that on Feb 14th birds found their mates each year. This date also coincided with the feast of Saint Valentine. Over time the two have blended together, creating a day celebrated all around the world as a day of love and romance. In 1969, the Catholic Church revised its calendar, removing St. Valentine from Feb 14th to stop further confusion of his ties with this legendary event. St. Valentine is still a saint and considered the patron saint of engaged couples, bee-keepers, happy marriages, love, lovers, young people, and travelers, and is the patron saint against fainting, epilepsy, and plague. There are actually 3 known St. Valentines, but little is known about them.
clip_image002
Most Gracious Heavenly Father, You gave Saint Valentine the courage to witness to the gospel of Christ, even to the point of giving his life for it. Help us to endure all suffering for love of you, and to seek you with all our hearts; for you alone are the source of life and love. Grant that we may have the courage and love to be strong witnesses of your truth to our friends and family and to the whole world. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
There are many articles available about this day and how its' celebration began. What you should know is that even though it is not the saintly holiday we once knew, it can still be celebrated with a respectful demonstration of our love for God, family, friends and neighbors. Teach children that love isn't about material things such as candy, roses and pleasure, but it is found in the loving actions shown towards each other every day. Teach them that love is something shared, but not necessarily said. Love should be given, whether or not it is given back. "Love one another as I have loved you."


1 Corinthians
Chapter 13
1 If I speak in human and angelic tongues 2 but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
3 Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 4 Love never fails.
If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing; if tongues, they will cease; if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing. For we know partially and we prophesy partially, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things. At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known. 5 So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
This is my "Spiritual Bouquet" for you, because I have love for you! You are dear to my heart and are constantly in my prayers. As Valentine's Day comes this Sunday, I will offer my Mass for you. That you may find a bouquet of grace from God to help you live a beautiful life filled with love.
clip_image003clip_image004
People need people, and friends need friends
And we all need love for a full life depends
Not on vast riches or great acclaim,
Not on success or on worldly fame,
But just in knowing that someone cares
And holds us close in their thoughts and prayers.


--- and for my married friends ---


With faith in each other
and faith in the Lord
May your marriage be blessed
with love’s priceless reward
For love that endures
and makes life worth living
is built on strong faith
and unselfish giving
So have faith, and the Lord
will guide both of you through
the glorious new life
that is waiting for you.

Helen Steiner Rice
Activities for Valentine's Day


Resources about the origin of St. Valentine's Day  also found here.


St. Valentine no longer on the Church Calendar.


 


clip_image005

Our School's Prayer

Our School's Prayer

Popular Posts